Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Broken flywheel results in power loss

My wife has a 2002 Bajaj Chetak, which ran well and was maintained per manufacturer schedule. Rode streets and a 5 mile stretch of high way daily. Felt a power loss on the highway as if I ran out of gas. Went 100 feet with power sputtering. Clutch in . . . engine died. Would not kick over. Has compression. Flywheel side might be the source of the funky air release sound when I kick the kick start.

Trouble shooting with the help of the Retro Bajaj Forum.

Replaced the spark plug resistor cap. Spark plug appears decent, but will replace as it's only a $2.00 test.

The big concern is the scraping sound the flywheel makes and the fact that bike will not fire up, as you will note in this video:



It appears that almost all of the flywheel rivets are missing from my wife's scooter as you can see in the video or the photos. I have been told I all I need to do is have the flywheel re-riveted. I suppose I could also have it welded so that never happens again.


The steps I will follow to repair the flywheel can be found here with pictures included.

For a list of other common issues for the 2002 Bajaj Chetak visit the Retro Bajaj forum.

No comments: